Friday, September 28, 2012

Looking Back....

Before I embark on the fundraising and big road trip for the 10 year anniversary of my street art project, I'd like to reflect on 10 amazing experiences I've had in my almost decade long career as a full time artist.

1. Being able to be a full time artist in this economy! What a miracle!!! I am so thankful. I love my job!!!

2. Learning about people when I do my street art project. I tell folks that if I were not an artist, I would most probably be an anthropologist. It's funny to see people's reaction to free things. I love, love, love all the painting recipients' feedback, from simple thank you's to some truly heartfelt & personal ones.

3. Giving presentations to elementary schools, middle schools, high schools and colleges. I absolutely love working with students. I moved to Massachusetts 17 years ago to teach at UMass Amherst. I stopped teaching to be a part of the dotcom world and to start my own design firm. Those days are long gone and I am kind of teaching again--it's been awesome!

4. Having a studio in the South End has been phenomenal. My studio mates are so talented and are great to be with--we constantly inspire one another. The space also allows me to be more experimental. My creative juices just flow non-stop there.

5. Appreciating all of the social media tools. Though my background is in computer graphics, I feel like I am somewhat behind in the latest and greatest tech stuff out there. Heck, I am still rockin' the iPhone 1 from 2007 (yes, I got mine the month it first came out half a decade ago). I do know that my project and artwork would not be as successful without the web, email, Facebook, Twitter and now, Blogger :)

6. Trying out many different art-related business ventures has been fun. From selling paintings at weekend art fairs to auctioning my artwork on eBay to selling tshirts via cafepress.com. Some ventures were more successful than others. They were all worth it, though.

7. Meeting incredible Boston-based artists. What I love about them is that they are all so very helpful. There is a definite artist comradeship here in Boston.

8. Having the best clients ever. I can't say enough good things about them. Thank you for all of the support over the years.

9. Being thankful for those who simply believe in me. Example: my lawyers who have been working pro bono for me over the years. I am forever grateful.

10. Finally, who knew that I would become a muralist? What more can I ask for? This whole art career thing is just getting better and better....

I will elaborate on these key points soon. Thanks for reading this and for being part of my upcoming 10 year celebration. You guys are the best!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment